Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Struggle

I am struggling..
Struggling with trying to find my place in this big city, struggling to find a job, struggling to remember that everything will work and that this is all in God's plan. The struggles I am facing I know I will overcome but everyday when I wake up and realize that I have nothing to do, it is a constant struggle to get out of bed. I do get up and I thank God for all the blessings in my life every day but as every day passes it is getting harder to do so.

As many of you know I have been unemployed since I moved to Houston in October. Since then I have applied for quite a few jobs. In fact in the last two weeks alone I have applied at:
  1. The Container Store
  2. Bath and Body Works
  3. World Market
  4. Francesca's
  5. Front desk job at my gym
  6. A Youth Services Director job at my gym, and at another gym nearby
  7. Substitute in Klein ISD
  8. Substitute in Cy-Fair ISD..which turns out won't take on any new subs until March
  9. Temp jobs at Rice
  10. Admissions coordinator at Rice
  11. Temp jobs at University of Houston
I avidly check job websites everyday. I honestly feel like that is all I do. And how many of the above jobs require a college degree? About 2 of them...how sad is that? When you look at it like that it is hard not to get discouraged and feel like why on earth did I get a college degree? Why am I in debt up to my ears for something I am not even using? I know I am just being pessimistic, but until something proves me wrong I think my attitude about college educations will stay the same.

Ok sorry for the Debbie Downer post...I just needed to get it off my chest. I will continue to keep my faith and try to remember that it will all work out. I just want to be successful and contribute to our family. I will try to update this from time to time with my job search results if there are any.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.
Psalm 3:5,6

3 comments:

Kelly said...

It is so hard no matter what the economy is like, but in this one - it's even harder! When I got out of college I didn't even get called for an interview for months... I finally got a job subbing, but it was a different time then and they needed more subs.

When we moved to Austin in October, I applied to a million jobs and didn't even get an interview for a single one until December - didn't get hired until the end of January. Hang in there!!!! Something will pop up and be perfect for you. :)

Apryl said...

I know time seems to be passing so slow and it looks like there will be no job in sight. I am praying for meaningful work for you. Employers don't know what a jewel you are or the jobs would be too many to count. Meanwhile, I will continue to pray for you as you adjust to life in Houston, life with Trey and all other things you didn't anticipate as God shapes you into the woman he will use for great things.

~Erin said...

I'm so sorry that you are hurting and discouraged and struggling. I wish I had something super wise to say that would get you through this time, but I see that I don't need to. You've already found the wisest resource that we have. God will always lead us back to the Bible. It is so hard to Trust in the Lord, but we will get there.

I remember my first 3 months in Houston. Doug and I were just married and I didn't know anyone. I didn't have a job and I was waiting for school to begin in August. I would go crazy in that little apartment, longing for friends and for a greater part of my life to begin. Did I mention we didn't have cable, and we did have dial-up. This was pre-Ellie and Macy too. Yikes! He would come home from work at 4:30 and I'd have dinner ready...Ha! All this to say, this is your adjustment period. A time to ease into a new marriage, city and church. God is leading you into your new life.

Just keep telling yourself what I tell myself about the kiddos 1. This is just a phase and will pass as quickly as it came AND 2. "You're gonna miss this, you're gonna want this back. You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast." I know that it doesn't seem you will miss the days you were unemployed, but find the highlights and revel in them. The working world will find you quickly enough!

We love ya girl. Come over and hang out anytime! You know you wannna help me fold some laundry ;)